Thousands of items every day are shipped worldwide, and many of these are both fragile and valuable. Shipping items like this requires many special considerations, and in order to guarantee that your items reach their destination intact and undamaged, you’ll want to take every precaution possible. In addition to such things as special packing materials and insurance, you will want just the right crating into which the item will be packed.
Current estimates are up to $1 billion in appraised value of insured art that will be packed into containers and sent off to various locations all over the world every year. These pieces of fine art are, without fail, fragile and easily damaged, and even the slightest damage to a piece of art can severely impact its value.
Damage to Artwork
When someone ships a valuable piece of artwork and it arrives damaged, this is heartbreaking to both the shipper and receiver, not only in financial terms, but as a loss of a piece of art to the world. Transporting these paintings, sculptures and other forms of art requires special care and consideration to protect against damage. It doesn’t matter if the artwork is a valuable Picasso or a painting from an up-and-coming local artist—all art deserves protection from damage.
Protection During Shipping
There are certain considerations that have to be taken into account when protecting artwork against the elements during shipping.
- Abrasion: Paintings, especially, have to be protected against abrasion and friction with shipping crates using acid-free tissue, polyethylene foam, or simple bubble wrap are ideal materials for defense against abrasion.
- Moisture: Moisture is the arch enemy of fine art, whether it’s ceramics, pottery, wood, or painting. Oil paintings, in particular, are vulnerable to pigment shifts from moisture that can change the entire appearance of the painting. Be sure to use materials that provide a barrier against moisture as the first line of defense.
- Impact: Securing and bracing the art against a stable base to protect from shock and bouncing around is vital to ensuring that it will reach its destination intact. Make sure that you use a cradle or exceptionally strong crate with handles and skids for strong transport. Adding an additional crate inside the main crate will provide an additional layer of protection, and be sure to use recessed fasteners and closures to avoid breakage during shipping.
- Theft and Damage: Insurance is vital to transporting valuable art. If your art is damaged, lost, or stolen while in transit, the proper insurance will make sure that you are at least compensated for your loss. Insurance premiums will be based on an assessment of the art’s value as well as any risk associated with the shipping company, so be sure that the shipper is experienced and reputable before agreeing to the deal.
Qualified Shipping Services
Be sure to select a shipping service that is reputable, experienced and qualified when transporting and packaging fine art. This will help to minimize accidents and ensure that your valuable and fragile artwork will reach its destination safe, secure, and undamaged.
The proper use of packing equipment and well-designed crating materials is vital to the shipping process. If you are thinking of transporting valuable artwork, whether it’s a carving, sculpture, drawing, painting or other form of fine art, give us a call. We have the perfect shipping and crating materials for any kind of package you need to ship.
The steady growth of globalization has proven to be a boon for industrial packing and shipping companies across the globe. Not only is it safe and reliable to hire the services of a packing and shipping company, but clients can benefit in numerous other ways too. Some of the additional advantages of professional packing and shipping services are presented below:
The Many Advantages of Using Industrial Packing and Shipping Services
- Individualized Packaging – Because there is no one-stop packing solution for all kinds of commodities, an advantage of professional packing is the option of getting one’s cargo packed according to its individual requirements. Individualized packaging therefore involves the use of specialized packaging techniques which are done according to the specific weight, size, nature as well as the shape of the cargo.
- Custom Crating Services – Another great aspect of industrial packing is that crates can be completely customized and built to suit the transportation needs of businesses. This is why clients can choose from a variety of customized options including crating services for transporting heavy and bulky cargo, furniture, clothes, fine art, and supplies.
- A-Z Safety – From the moment cargo is handed over for packing until the moment it is delivered to its desired destination, industrial packing and shipping services offer clients the benefit of assurance. This is achieved by making sure that all aspects of packing are carried out in the most careful manner in order to completely protect the goods from any damage during transportation.
- Environmental Protection – When it comes to ensuring that overseas as well as local shipments are delivered in their original condition, hiring a professional shipping company can save a lot of time, money and unnecessary stress. Whether cargo is being shipped internationally by road, rail, air, or sea, a large number of environmental factors such as wind, rain, storms, and moisture can wreak havoc on them. This is a consequence that can be shattering to clients, but this can be easily avoided by getting them packed and shipped using techniques like shrink wrapping and various corrosion inhibiting products.
From providing the very best of packing solutions to complying with the highest standards of transportation, Cratex has become the preferred choice for business and companies when it comes to handling cargo safely, efficiently and cost effectively. For a whole range of unparalleled industrial packing and shipping solutions please contact us.