You see them everywhere. Outside of the grocery store, the retail discounter, even outside of some more high end stores. Standard pallets are a very common item when it comes to moving goods from one place to the other. Sometimes they just cannot get the job done. You might need something more specific to your items dimensions or weight. Let’s examine standard pallets and see when they might not be enough to handle the job.
The Basics of a Standard Pallet
Standard pallets are used all over the world to ship things because they are very cheap. Pallets are generally made of wood. Sure, there are special pallets made of plastics and other synthetic materials, but we are talking about the standard pallet. They measure 48×40” and sit high enough off the floor to accommodate a fork truck or lift.
The basic function of a pallet is to allow boxed, bagged, stacked or shrink-wrapped goods to be moved around by a fork truck or a lift. They are a standard size because their size accomiddates most standard models of the equipment that will be moving them around. They are great for moving around things like boxes of clothing, groceries, bags of concrete or top soil. The standard pallet is limited by two things:
- The weight it can safely support
- The 48×40 dimension
When a Job is Not Standard
If the items you need to move around are not standard, this is where you can run into issues. While pallets are perfect for things that fit their profile, sometimes an item is literally outside of the box. This is where you need something custom created.
Custom crates can be made for a variety of reasons:
- Special Warehouse needs for space or configuration.
- Odd geometry of an item that causes it to be larger than the standard pallet size or shape.
- Tall items that need additional support to keep them stable.
- Heavy items that cannot be supported by the weight of a standard pallet.
- Valuable goods that require additional protection.
- Hazardous goods that need to be secured from tampering.
- Goods that need to be handled by customized warehouse equipment.
- Goods or equipment that needs special bracing or additional protection to prevent damage during shipping.
As you can see, there are a wide range of reasons why standard pallets might not be the best solution for your shipping or warehousing needs.
How Do I Get a Custom Crate Made?
The first step is to contact a reliable and experienced vendor like The Cratex Group. The longer they have been around and the more business they do, the more likely they are to have experience with your particular application.
Once you have located a suitable vendor, contact them at the very least with basic weight and dimensions of your shipment. Any drawings or 3D models of the items would also be helpful. From there, trust them to handle your custom crating needs.